CPD Services

Animal Control

Animal control in Chaska falls within the responsibilities of the police department. Common animal problems include barking dogs and dogs soiling neighboring property. 

Before calling the police, try to resolve the problem by talking (after taking 10 deep breaths) with the offending dog owner. This usually works, but if it doesn’t, you can call the police. A community service officer will visit with the offending dog owner. The action taken will depend on the owner’s response and if a warning had previously been given.

Keeping a dog in town carries a lot of responsibilities. Briefly, you must:

A more thorough description is outlined in the city Animal Ordinance. For animal problems other than dogs, the department will try to assist, but may refer you to a professional exterminator or other service.

Car Seat Installation & Inspection

Did you know that 4 out of 5 car seats are used incorrectly. Please email Officer Janke or call 952-448-4200 to schedule an appointment. View the Guide for Child Passenger Safety Seats and Seat Belts.


The department will assist with lockouts. You will be asked to pay a $20 service fee to help offset the cost and to help deter misuse. Call 952-448-4200 and either a community service officer or a police officer will respond as time allows. You will be given an envelope to mail the fee. No open - no charge!

Lost & Found

From time to time the police department receives items that the public has found. Please contact the investigations unit at 952-448-4200 with questions.

Neighborhood Crime Watch

Crime Watch is a group of neighbors looking out for neighbors. You would get to know each other and become familiar with the normal routines of the neighborhood. This process helps neighbors identify things that are out of the ordinary like strange vehicles or suspicious persons. We encourage everyone to look out for each other. Two out of ten people feel like they don’t want to bother the police. Believe us, it is not a bother. We want the call!

If you and your neighborhood want to form a crime watch group, please email the police station.

Vacation House Checks

If you are going away for a week or more, you can notify the department and we will check your home while you are away. Please complete the Vacation House Check Request Form and return to the Police Department.